ERPNext is a free and open source software published under GNU General Public License (GPLv3) license. And this license grants you
- the freedom to use the software for any purpose
- the freedom to change the software to suit your needs
- the freedom to share the software with anyone
- the freedom to share the changes you make
The source code of ERPNext is available on GitHub.
Advantages of an open source software are:
- There is no lock-in with one specific vendor.
- You can host the application anywhere, including your own server to gain complete ownership and privacy of the data.
- You can access a community for help.
You can benefit from using a product that is critiqued and used by a wide range of people, who have reported hundreds of issues and suggestions to improve the product.
While ERPNext is free and open source, running a server for ERPNext, implementing it and, supporting it is not an easy task. You can opt for professional help at erpnext.com or find a suitable service provider. This will allow you to reduce your risk and focus on delivering business value.